Today I was exploring in Second Life getting ready for a presentation. One of the things I like I about Second Life is the multiple ways users can communicate. For example, users can chat with the whole group, instant message individuals, use voice, have their avitars use gestures, distribute movies, and text via note cards. This allows for multiple forms of communication to happen simultaneously.
Challenges ideas of how we have traditionally learned.
Dede(2007) talks about this in his article, Planning for Neomillennial Learning Styles,
“For example, by its nature the Web rewards comparison of multiple sources of information, individually incomplete and collectively inconsistent. This induces learning based on seeking, sieving, and synthesizing, rather than on assimilating a single "validated" source of knowledge as from books, television, or a professor’s lectures” (Dede, 2007).
I also liked what Dede said about these types of learning environments "needing a balance among experiential learning, guided mentoring, and collective reflection". New pedagogy for new tools.
Sep 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment