Mar 23, 2009

Responsible Use Policies

A couple of weeks ago I had a great conversation with David Jakes, the Coordinator of Instructional Technology at Glenbrook South High School in the hallway at the CoSN annual conference in Austin. Mr. Jakes was proposing the idea that schools should have responsible use policies instead of acceptable use policies.

This was in line with some of the comments made by one of the panelists at the International Symposium who talked about the need for schools to share risk meaning that schools should not be the only ones responsible for risk management of the Internet.

I read another good quote this week that falls into this category when I was preparing for my presentation on How New Media is Changing the Way We Learn for the WEMTA Conference.

"The Web is not a babysitter, it’s not a friendly place full of rocking chairs and whittling, but with the right parenting and sensible precautions children and teens can use the Web safely” (“MySpace Deemed Harmful to Children...Well, Duh”, http://websearch.about.com/b/a/217893.htm).

I think we are going to see a lot of shifts in AUPs and school's approach to Internet safety in the next five years.

1 comment:

TechNorth said...

This was the topic of a workshop offered at NECC last summer by Larry Anderson. I think he's repeating it at NECC this year in DC.

As a result of attending Dr. Anderson's session in San Antonio, our new AUP will be a RUP!